Thoroughbred Sustainability Partner Awards
Norfolk Southern's Thoroughbred Sustainability Partner Awards are a new annual opportunity to recognize our customers and suppliers who are leaders in sustainability. The awards recognize achievements in three achievement pillars:
The Energy Efficiency Award is intended to recognize corporate programs achieving energy efficiency savings. Submissions should emphasize quantitative savings and results rather than qualitative indicators.
The Innovation Award is intended to recognize technology innovations that have significantly contributed to a more sustainable future. Submissions must demonstrate how these innovations are novel, relevant, and impactful:
- Novel: the innovation must have been developed, implemented, or have measurable impact in the last year.
- Relevant: the innovation needs to be primarily related to sustainability and be relevant to the transportation sector.
- Impactful: the innovation needs to have clear, quantitative evidence that can be cited to demonstrate the sustainability impact.
The Environmental Stewardship Award is intended to recognize outstanding efforts promoting stewardship of the environment. . Submissions must demonstrate how these innovations are novel, relevant, and impactful:
- Novel: some portion of the stewardship activity must have occurred in the last year.
- Relevant: the stewardship activity must be relevant to the transportation sector.
- Impactful: the stewardship needs to represent on-going activity and have clear, quantitative evidence that can be cited to demonstrate the sustainability impact.
Award winners are acknowledged in the industry for their sustainability leadership and enjoy brand recognition for their commitment to a more sustainable supply chain. Winners are appointed to a team of thought-leaders to collaborate with other industry colleagues to shape the future of sustainability in the supply chain.
On December 1, 2022, we proudly announced recipients of the inaugural Thoroughbred Sustainability Partner awards:
Honoring corporate programs that achieve significant energy efficiency savings.
- Ford Motor Company
- J.B. Hunt Transport
- Marathon Petroleum
- Schneider National
Recognizing innovations that have significantly contributed to a more sustainable future.
- Georgia Ports Authority
- Loram Maintenance of Way
- The Port of Virginia
Celebrating efforts that promote stewardship of the environment.
- Paper Transport
- Progress Rail
A cross-departmental team from Norfolk Southern reviewed applications for their measurable progress during 2021. Winners were selected based on their program’s novelty, relevance, and impact. The award recipients collectively demonstrated outstanding achievements toward energy efficiency, innovation, and environmental stewardship. Achievements by the honorees included:
- Diverting 17 million pounds of waste from landfills
- Avoiding more than 500,000 metric tons of carbon emissions
- Eliminating 5.2 million miles of diesel fuel burn annually
- Removing millions of pounds of plastic from the ocean and converted to auto parts
- Achieving a 30% reduction in fuel consumption, saving 225,000 gallons annually